Monday, April 25, 2011

All in a days work

Today was a good day.  My children have only had 1 or 2 outbursts today.  My stress level is down.   Darling #1 went to his Gymboree preschool this morning.  I had my fingers crossed that his behavior would be ok.  He had several tantrums last week.   I asked the teacher if there was anything I could do to help her out so I sent her his behavior management plan from his therapist.  She said his behavior today was great after he had a timeout first thing after he got there.  I guess he started screaming shortly after I left and did not want to participate.  Prior to receiving the behavior management plan Gymboree's normal way to deal with kiddos having some problems listening is to use positive redirection.  I explained to her that my son may not respond to that at all times and it is ok to use a timeout with him.  He listened for the remainder of class.

Darling #2 participated in his Gymboree class but from a friendly distance.   I stay with him in his class because it is a mommy and child class.  Darling #2 does not have any language issues but he does copy some of his brothers negative behaviors such as being too aggressive with other kids at times and not listening.  I worry at times about his development when I see him line up toys, walk on his toes and have multiple tantrums but I'm keeping a close eye on his language and social interactions and they are so far up to speed.

After Gymboree, Darling #1 worked with his speech therapist on following rules.  They played Candyland and she made a social story for him.  After speech, we went outside and of course Darling #1 gets on the swing or tricycle.  He loves to swing and race his tricycle.  He would do this all day and be perfectly content.  He has found another new love:  digging in the dirt.  This is kind of amusing because Darling #1 does not like most sticky or dirty substances on his hands and often complains if they are dirty.  Go figure!

After being outside we came in and watched some TV.  TV is a calming factor in our house for the most part.  It's one of the ways I am able to clean up the kitchen or take a shower.

Husband arrived home a short while ago and in the ideal world this is where I could take a short break.  But this is not usually the case.  Today as soon as he got home he said hi to us and then feel asleep on the chair.  He has since migrated to the bed.  Oh well. 

I have to go to the store tonight, so I'm hoping he's not going to bed for the night.  Otherwise I will have to take the darlings too.  I really don't want to take them to the store with me because they can be so distracting and I always end of forgetting something.    Going to a store for groceries or occassionally going to the gym is my break.  A working break.  I guess I have to take whatever break I can't get.  A Big Mamma's work is never done.

No comments:

Post a Comment