Monday, January 3, 2011

Trains, Trains, Trains!

I wasn't originally going to blog about autism because it's already in my thoughts when I wake up and when I go to bed, and I wanted to have the "blog" help take my mind off  "it" for awhile and talk about something else.  However, today I really felt that Darling #1 was really on another planet, or should I say, island.  Yes, island is more precise.  The Island of Sodor to be exact.  When he woke up, all he could talk about was trains: him being a train, which trains are faster, stronger, when can he watch Thomas, and on and on.  It's so hard to get him to change the subject sometimes.  I get tired of repeating his name, repeating directions, listening to the screaming  (because I said no), the anger from Darling #1 directed toward Darling #2 if things don't go just so, Darling #2 copying his brother's negative behavior and so on.   Darling #1 has an autism spectrum disorder and he is on the higher end of the spectrum.  He is only mildly affected by autism.  Not everything is gloom and doom, just some days it feels like it.  Good.  Got that off my chest.   I should add though that Santa Claus is partly to blame though for the train obsession, because he brought the boys more friends for Thomas and Percy.  The look on their faces when they opened those trains was priceless and that made mommy and daddy smile. 

On to something else.  New Years Resolutions.   Anyone make one?  Anyone want to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment